A Rubberband Kind of Year: See You Later Pakistan

August 25, 2011
By

Perhaps it is fitting that my last month in Pakistan has been the month of Ramzan (Ramadan).  For those unfamiliar, Ramzan is the month of sacrifice in the Islamic calendar.  Jawad Aslam, my CEO, close friend and resident expert on all things Muslim, described Ramzan to me as “religious boot camp”.

On the surface, Ramzan is a month of fasting—no food,  no water, no cigarettes, no consumption of any kind from about 4 am to sunset.  Many shops are closed in the afternoon, and restaurants open around 6pm to serve a packed house the moment the fast breaks.

The fast, however, is merely a symbolic (and admittedly difficult) gesture that represents a deeper sense of sacrifice.  Muslims use Ramzan to give up bad habits, spend more time with themselves & Allah, and seek further enlightenment.

Though Ramzan makes it impossible to schedule goodbye lunches and teas with the many friends I’ll be leaving behind here in Pakistan, I’m glad to experience it at the end of my year here.

As I look back to the kind of year its been, I see so many parallels with Ramzan.  I gave up a lot to be here, and in the process I’ve come to know myself & the world around me in a much deeper way than before.  Jawad jokes that I’ve aged 5 years in 10 months.

At the outset of this journey, I wrote that I expected to be stretched like a rubberband in the coming year.  When a rubber band stretches, it snaps back, but it ends up larger than it was before.

My hope was that the experience would broaden my horizons, but not so quickly that I snapped.  It seems to have worked out.

Admittedly, the tendons in my knees have tightened because I never quite felt comfortable running outside in Pakistan, but my perspective has been stretched beyond expectations.

Pakistan is a land of extremes: from extreme heat to extreme hospitality.  From extreme religious sentiment to extreme devotion to food.  From extremely exaggerated journalism to an extremely undervalued global reputation.

What most of the world fails to realize is just how beautiful this country is and how spectacular its people truly are.  It is impossible to overlook the problems: Pakistan is facing lawlessness in Karachi, a violent political system, jaw-dropping inflation, an insufficient power supply and terrorists staking claim over the northern areas.  These are real issues that do exist: but they do not define Pakistan—as much of the world would have you believe.

While it may be impossible to overlook the problems, it is (apparently) quite possible to overlook the splendor that a country like Pakistan offers.

Where else do you greet every stranger with the phrase “Peace be with you”?

Where else do you find BBQ Chicken Tikka that melts in your mouth?

Where else is being 20 minutes late considered on-time?

Where else can you see opportunity in every alley?

Where else do motorized scooters (100% of which are red hondas) weave in between cars which cruise past rickshaws, which veer around donkey-pulled carts, which are dwarfed by strutting camels?
Where else can you buy seasonal fruit on every single street corner?

Where else do the echoes of a minaret bring an eerie peace to 4a.m. in the morning?

Where else do you find a people who take prayer so seriously, they start every flight with one?

Where else, but Pakistan?

I’ve come to understand that the world is not as the New York Times makes it out to be. That terror zones house people too.  That 99.9% of people on this earth want to do good by eachother.  That I, a white dude from San Francisco, can become friends with Aftab, a fellow engineer from far northern Pakistan (we’re facebook friends too, in case you’re scoring at home).  I met Aftab on a trip to Chitral, where he builds micro hydro power plants in beautiful remote villages just a few miles from the Afghanistan border so that the poor can have lights at night.

There is so much opportunity in communities such as these; its staggering that the world chooses not to see it.

I’ve seen the dark side as well: and yes, it is far from pretty, but it is not something to be afraid of. I’m not afraid of bombs or kidnappings or shootings—rather, I am deeply, deeply saddened by them.

Terrorists are called terrorists because its their job to terrify you.  Let them do that, and they win.

Do you know what terrifies the terrorist? Education and economic development.  Opportunity. Terrorists have chosen their path usually because they didn’t have a shot at economically bettering themselves, but I’ll say more about that in another post another time.

Earlier this week I was driving to the Karachi airport, when the driver heard on the radio that there had been shootings nearby.  If the news hadn’t alerted us, the ambulances flying past every two minutes probably would have.

As we approached, I noticed we were closely following a Toyota pickup truck carrying four sketchy characters, decked out in jet black shalwar kameez and carrying equally dark AK-47s.  It was precisely the stereotypical scene that crosses people’s minds when they think of PK or a ‘war zone’.  The men were strapping on ammunition vests and loading cartridges into their guns.

One man looked the part of a new-age pirate, with long black hair flowing out from under a tan & black checkered bandana.  I’ll never forget the evil glint that I saw in his eyes.

By my count, he was not Pakistani—not in the true sense. No…there is a reason that I saw this kind of man only once in an entire year.

Real Pakistanis are the opposite of the stereotype in just about every way possible.  And I meet them every day.

Pakistanis are hospitable. I’ve spent my entire time here living with a host family.  At first I was a guest, but Jean, Wilburn, Asim, Maria, Susie, John, Ben, Thomas, Annie, Tashu and Ethan made me feel so welcome that they became family.  I know I have a home here forever.   Anywhere you go in Pakistan, people will welcome you with open arms (and probably a even a hug—from strangers too).

Pakstanis are loyal. I mean…crazy loyal.  When you make a Pakistani friend, you’ve created a serious bond.  Leaving is so hard because I feel such powerful ties with people here.   For my farewell dinner, a co-worker (but really a new best friend), Jamshaid, made two 9 hour trips between our site in the flood affected areas and Lahore just to join for dinner.  Another friend of mine who had moved out of Lahore months ago made a 250Km round trip to meet me for Sehri breakfast at 3am.  I’ve never felt so honored.

Pakistanis love tea.  If this isn’t self-evident, I don’t know what is.  Pakistanis love to sit down, stir their chai and chat.  Spending time with others and building quality relationships is so important.  Back home people tend to fly through their days, but in Pakistan, every moment with another is cherished.

Pakistanis are optimistic. I’ve never been somewhere where young people were as energized about opportunities in their own country as here.  There is a bright future ahead and Pakistan’s youth are driving it.  A few friends of mine—Ali, Babar, Zehra, Saba, Jimmy, Khurram—have inspiring aspirations for change in PK.

This is the Pakistan that the world needs to come to know.  Yes, there are terrorists and violence, and that can’t be forgotten, but if that is your perception, then you are judging a book by the headlines.

Sure, there are probably safer ways I could have spent this year, but then I wouldn’t have been stretched in the way that I have been.

Pakistan has become a part of me; it has forever changed me, my perspective on the world, and my trust in humanity.

Here’s to you PK.

Shukria, Allah Hafiz.  (Thank you, may God protect you).

~Bryan

159 Responses to A Rubberband Kind of Year: See You Later Pakistan

1. Katelyn on August 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Fantastic post Bryan.

• Batul Ali on August 28, 2011 at 3:07 am

Thank you for bringing in a new perspective, restoring faith.

• Junaid Malik on September 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Bryan,

Can’t thank you enough for your post. It came just in time, made my day! Keep up the good work.

• Irum on September 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Thank you for appreciating our beautiful country and it’s lovely people who aspire for happiness, safety and success like all mankind.
      It sure is a wonderful world and it is upto us to make it even better!

• Sajjad Ahmad on September 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Asalamulakom,

Bryan my name is Sajjad Khan am from the north aria of Pakistan just wanted to thank you for the effort u made to bring the real face of Pakistan to the rest of the world and restoring faith like my sis Batul Ali mentioned.

above is my e-mail add i live in Sydney and would be honer to invite you to my home for a meal if u have time.

• Nauman on October 30, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Dear Bryan,
      I truly and humbly thank you for portraying such a beautiful picture of my dear homeland (Pakistan). I hope the common people in the USA and the rest of the world would try to see this amazing picture through your clear eyes and open mind.
      May peace be with you forever.

• Sultan Durrani on November 4, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I am so thankful to Bryan, painting true picture of Pakistan and its terror hit citizens. i thank him again for using all these kind words, unfortunately people sitting far away in the west form a negative opinion against Pakistan, though we are the ones who suffered the most in this fight against Terror, we have lost around 35000 of our citizens, more that 5000 of our soldiers from our Armed forces,we have lost around 70 billion dollars in this fight put around our neck without any rhyme and reasons, as a country we are ruined in all its spheres but unfortunately, still we are are doubted in our efforts to bring peace in this part of land. The praise for Pakistan put together by Mr. Bryan brought tears to my eyes, Still we have people on the face of this earth who speak the truth. may God Bless you Bryan.
      Long Live Pakistan.

• Adnan Quddus Malik on November 17, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Hello Bryan!

Its good to know that there are still such people on this earth who believe in truth… which the International media doesnt want to deliver, either intentionally or through proper planning, it doesnt matter, since the truth is; we are actually the victims of terrorism “rather so called terrrosits” and the loss of 35000 people, loss of peace of mind, millions of dollars and most of all the question from our children “Dad, why are they killing us? have we done anything wrong to them? Dad i am too scared to go to school, Dad dont go outside they will kill you, Dad dont go to office, they will kill you….. and so on…. after every breaking news about a bomb blast on Television”.

Anyway bryan, thank you very much for your true words.

By the way you had been here for a short span of time, and have missed a lot of other things…. which are “Where else do you…” sort of things. I hope you’ll discover them in your next visit. :)

With profound regards.

Adnan Quddus Malik

2. Michel on August 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Bryan, great post – and greater story behind it. We met last year in Buenos Aires with Greg Tully and other Bainees.

3. Zahoor on August 25, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Thanks Bryan for writing such a great peace and highlighting the other side of the story, we really need this.

Thanks again!

• salman on September 2, 2011 at 9:21 am

Thanks for this extremely patronising article. You’ve been touring this country while your MoD has been drone bashing her and killing her people! We don’t need a foreigner’s perspective; we already know this! We just need you to go back and start being humans!

• babar on September 3, 2011 at 5:01 am

man you really have issues salman.

• Kassim P on September 8, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Reply to Salman’s post: September 2, 2011 at 9:21 am

Bryan’s article comes across as an authentic, and credible. It provides a heartfelt and positive perspective that is welcome to most thoughtful citizens of Pakistan and the world.

Rejecting the article because it is from a “foreigner’s perspective” is precisely the kind of narrow, bigoted, misinformed attitude that impedes the well being of humanity in Pakistan and elsewhere. It is classically representative of the worst aspects of Taliban culture, that is the true alien cancer afflicting Afghanistan and Pakistan.

It is this cancerous attitude that needs to be rooted out… I think that Bryan’s story is just the right antidote to the poison that Salman is perpetuating…

Thanks Bryan!!

• Aqueel on February 21, 2012 at 3:52 am

Salman be thankful to those who appreciate your home. Bryan is not responsible for those attacks rather he tried to change the world’s perspective about Pakistan so we should be very grateful to him for his efforts and courage. You need to change your mindset.

4. bilal on August 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm

bryan you just grab my heart after writing tis beautiful post. i am gonna listen Eminem song beautiful:-)

5. Batool on August 25, 2011 at 6:20 pm

so beautifully written and beautifully captured, thank you Bryan.

6. Ramaz on August 25, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Here’s to you PK.
    feel the same …
    Thanks Bryan for writing such a great peace

7. Shakeel on August 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Wow Bryan! analysing and feeling so truly and then narrating in such a touching way is a great contribution which is direly needed to let the world reconsider their perceptions regarding PAKISTAN.

Wish you be longer and longer after each snap back of learning and experiencing!

Good luck & Warm regards!

8. Sumaiya on August 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Thankyou Bryan. Glad you had a good experience.

9. Mariam on August 25, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Hi! bryan i live in Pakistan but before reading this awesome post i was little afraid of my country but now this blog changed my mind and i am not afraid of my country anymore thanks!

10. Sharmeen Rafique on August 26, 2011 at 4:52 am

Thank you Bryan. You made my day. Today I am very happy to see that still there are people who don’t judge people on the basis of rumours. Thank you Bryan once again for showing the good picture of Pakistan.

11. nate on August 26, 2011 at 4:58 am

Its actually Khuda-Hafiz..

• Mehrbano on August 28, 2011 at 11:05 pm

It can be either.

• Aqueel on February 21, 2012 at 3:53 am

Allah Hafiz is better

12. Marianne Vermeer on August 26, 2011 at 6:49 am

My feelings exactly- my guess is that you’ll cry buckets when driving to the airport. You’ll leave part of your heart in PK and wonder when you can go back. You’ll read every story of a bomb or kidnapping from now on and hurt for those you love there. I’m glad you had this growing experience… and can look forward to others to come. Good luck in the next phase of your life!

• Aqueel on February 21, 2012 at 3:59 am

Thanks Marianne for such nice feelings for Pakistan. I really appreciate. Thanks a lot.

13. [...] after spending the past 10 months in Lahore working for Acumen investee Ansaar Management Company, wrote, Pakistan is not a country of terrorists, but rather a country afflicted by [...]

14. Jean Albert on August 26, 2011 at 10:38 am

Thank you for a fresh perspective on Pakistan. I love Pakistan and want visitors to leave their hearts behind when they leave but sometimes the dark side overwhelms and you have reminded me of all that is still good and worth protecting. See you in Pakistan, am not saying good bye.

15. usman on August 27, 2011 at 1:43 am

Thank you for an outsider’s perspective that I desperately needed to remind me that my country is worth a damn. Considering I’ve always felt an unwelcome stranger in pakistan, I’m happy that at least it welcomed you and made you feel at home. Good luck!

• Dr Fazal on September 3, 2011 at 8:29 am

Thanks for showing a brighter unlooked face of Pakistan for rest of the world

16. Ziggy on August 27, 2011 at 1:51 am

Your true feeling towards Pakistan.
    Thanks so much for your sharing.
    U love the place and people as u truly experienced.

And this small kid is so cute^^

17. muhammad rafi on August 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm

thank u bryan! ur post is like a breath of fresh air.. if u can see positivity in these circumstances, any one can…thank u for not judging pakistan by cover stories… very warm regards, stay blessed

18. Alison Fairchild on August 27, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Very true, very well written– such hospitable people!

• Aqueel on February 21, 2012 at 4:02 am

Thanks a lot Alison for acknowledging what you feel about Pakistan. Thanks a lot.

19. Anne on August 28, 2011 at 2:58 am

Thank you Bryan for writing like that about this country that I love. We need this sort of stuff. Here’s to Pakistan!

20. Khan on August 28, 2011 at 3:07 am

Thank You Brian, these kinda articles are much needed for Pakistan in international forums.

21. Bryan Farris on August 28, 2011 at 9:01 am

thank you everyone! your comments are extremely energizing. lets keep the good word spreading about Pakistan…it truly is a beautiful country!!

• Syed Jilani on September 20, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Dear Brian,
      I got your link through my nephew who lives in West Virginia and it compelled me to write as the Article itself deserves an appreciation. Thank you for telling about “The Other Side of Midnight”.
      But I am afraid people at the echelons of power (Domestic and International specially America and Britain)are engaged in their nefarious designs to DE-stabilize this beautiful Country because she is Nuclear.And this is because they impose on the world that people of Pakistan are fanatics which is an absolute negative perspective.
      Few of these evil think tanks want the whole world under their thumb.But Super Power “Almighty Allah” always destroys such evil elements of Mankind,history proves that.
      In the end I must say that people like you are the great source of inspiration for the rest of us.
      Take Care.

22. Khurram Iqbal on August 28, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Bryan,
    Hundreds of thousands of Pakistanis around the world are feeling great and happy after reading your article because this is also true about Pakistan and ordinary Pakistanis what you have expressed. It has been a decade of guilt and suffering for Pakistanis and your feelings and observation has given us hope and self-respect, Thank you Sir.

23. Rishabh on August 28, 2011 at 5:21 pm

So well written and inspiring! Thanks for being a great lesson to humanity and being able to share those moments with us!

24. Mehrbano on August 28, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Thank you so much for writing this article, Bryan! Pakistan gets all the bad publicity, and we pakistanis do too. It’s a beautifulmcountry that has become the victim of terrorism and the media.

25. Ali on August 29, 2011 at 1:14 am

The world is so cynical these days. It needs a lot more Bryans who could reassure hope and bring the ‘right’ perspective out. Even living here in pakistan we’ve been pushed to dark corners by a misleading projection of who we are. Meeting you certainly peeled off that tinge of negativity. Thanks :)

Lovely piece

miss you man!!

26. [...] Farris Rising Pyramid Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook Buzz it up Share on Linkedin Share with [...]

27. Ali Akram on August 29, 2011 at 2:57 am

heart touching to say the least…i m glad that still there r people like u..who try to judge things by actual experience not just by what media has to say about it!!
    long live Bryan.
    Allah Nigahban

28. hassan on August 29, 2011 at 3:20 am

nice post bryan .. it was great meeting you too ..

29. Ammar on August 29, 2011 at 3:43 am

Bryan, I applaud you for the article.

I hope you will not stop here at spreading the reality of Pakistan. This may be a start but one mans thought are what it takes to change opinions of many others. Thank you once again, Bryan.

Bryan you have brought a smile to my face and I will pray for you during my roza today!!!

30. haseeb on August 29, 2011 at 11:10 am

Thank u for sharing ur thoughts so beautifully n u know we always appreciate n give importance to gora sahab (english man) more value than our own ppl.but u trully pay off the honour paki ppl gave to u.
    Appreciated n thank u once again

31. waheed on August 29, 2011 at 11:24 am

Dear Bryan God bless you for understanding, I being a Pakistani forgot how to love my country more, I guess you showed me blessings I’ve been ignoring all along. God bless your kind heart.
    Please do comeback again to see a better Pakistan.

32. Osama Chhaya on August 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I’m truly touched. Bryan, we really need people like you to change the perspective that foreigners have for PK. I sincerely hope that through your effort to highlight your experiences in PK more people are going to come here and see for themselves that we’re not just guns and bombs but something completely different. We are indebted to you for life. Thank you.

33. Syeda on August 29, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Love. It. Thank you for writing another perspective about Pakistan. Good to know that there ARE non-Pakistanis who can appreciate Pakistan in the way so many millions of Pakistanis do, including moi :) There are many changes to be made in Pakistan, and together we can get there!

34. Farooq on August 29, 2011 at 11:35 pm

A fantastic read, specially for Pakistanis like myself who have essentially deserted Pakistan in pursuit of personal goals at a time when it needs us the most. Your post actually makes me want to come back home!

35. Toggle Switch on August 30, 2011 at 4:19 am

Peace? You’ve got to be tone deaf to think 5 million crazy mullahs braying at the same moment is peace.

• Naveen Malik on September 8, 2011 at 1:18 pm

and u sir/madam (for want of being politically correct)have demonstrated exactly what the post talks about: people not allowing anothers perspective to seep in- To you words calling people to prayer might be unsettling but to others they echo peace and reconnection

• Farooq on September 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Mr Swtich

You are one of the crazy heads who make this world a difficult place to live. You are truly an ill informed person and trying to negate what bryan has rightly expressed.

Morning prayers are held all around the world in more than 50 Islamic countries and NO where , anybody has ever complained against the aazan.

36. William Weinstein on August 30, 2011 at 5:36 am

I have also met really great people from Pakistan. However, the country as a whole is full of corrupt people. Pakistanis insist that only the leadership is corrupt but the fact is that corruption is present from top to bottom.

• Faraz on September 13, 2011 at 2:49 am

Yes, there are corrupt people in Pakistan in all segments of its society, but dont you have similar filth in other countries too. Just to brand Pakistan as full of corrupt is not right. Like any other society of the world, Pakistan has its dirty element who need to be identified and eliminated. The reason why the world knows of Pakistan’s corrupt people is because good Pakistanis themselves bring them to the fore and then try to deal with them. But to brand the whole nation as corrupt or full of corrupt people is again going to the extreme. Such extremist (at both sides of the divide) then spreads unwarranted hatred.

Bryan, thanks allot for your kind views on Pakistan which represents the majority of people of this great country.

God Bless you!

37. Taaryn on August 30, 2011 at 6:58 am

Bryan, Thank you for writing such a phenomenal piece on Pakistan and for appreciating and reminding us of all the finer points.

38. Mehreen on August 30, 2011 at 8:01 am

Thank you.

39. necworld on August 30, 2011 at 8:01 am

Thank you for writing such a beautiful piece. A friend from Washington, D.C. currently in Pakistan forwarded it to me. I work with many people originally from Pakistan and your experiences in Pakistan reflect my own experiences with Pakistanis here. The American news focuses on the terrible things happening in Pakistan so it is really nice to hear a different voice.

40. Madiha on August 30, 2011 at 8:14 am

Your post is the best present one could have on this very troubled Eid for Pakistanis…

41. A on August 30, 2011 at 9:32 am

what a refreshing article! loved reading it, so glad you had a good stay here :) and in response to someones comment about it being ‘Khuda Hafiz’ rather than ‘Allah Hafiz’ no worries as both are fine, they mean the same thing….take care and come back soon!

42. Shabbir Butt on August 30, 2011 at 11:52 am

What a great article. Thank you so much to make me proud of my country Mr. Bryan. May Almighty Allah bless you and your family with all His blessings.

43. umaima on August 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Bryan!!!!!!!! Thanks alot for writing such a beautiful piece im seriously in tears at reading this cuz we have been portrayed so negatively to the world that now even we at times say that yes we are nothing! thats the saddest part:’( bt thanks to you my faith and passion and devotion for my motherland has been given a new direction !where can i get in touch with u?? my email id is standup4merapak@gmail.com whenever possible plz do get in touch…regards and best wishes umaima

44. fahad on August 30, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Bryan,

Next time you visit pak, ull be staying at my place mate!!!!!

Thanks for writing such a nice article :-)

God bless you….

• Osama Chhaya on September 1, 2011 at 3:15 am

And if you, by chance, come to Karachi, you’ll stay with me. . .

• Farrukh Bashir on September 14, 2011 at 9:37 pm

take my SUV to commute where ever you want to travel, mate. u r a hero! :)

stay blessed!

Shukria, Allah Hafiz!

45. Tanya Rosen on August 31, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I totally feel the same. It has changed me. It is my second home now.

46. Zahir on August 31, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Bryan. You are Pal. God bless you. Keep coming back. Next time you are here – be my guest, friend you already are :)

47. [...] read complete article  → RisingPyramid Share this:StumbleUponDiggRedditTwitterFacebookEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

48. tariq on September 1, 2011 at 7:19 am

Bryan , like all the others who have written back thanks I am from pakistan i have lived in the usa for the last 40 years i go to pk at least once a year next time i go in dec come with me again and i willtake you to the changes we are trying to make there little efforts at a time for the last 11 years if you are in the east coast at any time wash-balt area get in touch with me and we will have tea and talk and plan for a better pk. Thanks again and how nice to hear from others who feel the same Tariq

49. sibzz on September 1, 2011 at 10:22 am

Hey Bryan,
    nice to see that you have some good words to say about Pakistan. But my advice to you is that you should stay away for some time, at least a year till everything cools down. I say this because I would hate it if something bad(God forbid) happens to you in my country. there are few foreigners who think like you about Pakistan and we dont want to lose you :D

50. Yasin on September 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Hi Bryan,
    Good day, your words coming as EID Gift for all muslims living in Pakistan and Pakistan abroad.

Thanks
    Yasin frm dubai.

51. m tariq qureshi on September 1, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Wonderful discourse Bryan; not so much because you write pleasing things. Even if you were to be critical, one would still appreciate your post. At age 62 I have seen the good days of Pakistan. We made a mighty start and had mighty falls. Our real strength is optimism and basic goodness. So there is hope and on that we survive.
    Allah Hafiz! Come again!!

52. Anjum Bilgrami on September 1, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Thank you for appreciating a country and a people who are being belabored by the world mainstream media. Just your truthful reporting is a fresh breeze in this stifling negativity.

53. Momina on September 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Bryan, your article left a smile on my face and gratitude in my heart… thank you!

54. shuaib yazdani on September 1, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder…

55. Babar on September 2, 2011 at 12:03 am

Interesting and beautiful article! And thank you Bryan for illustrating the true picture of Pakistan. Your contribution is highly appreciable.

56. Areeba K,U on September 2, 2011 at 4:13 am

Thank you Mr Bryan for writing such a wonderful peace. :)

57. Anum Maqsud on September 2, 2011 at 5:07 am

Bryan, I love you. Seriously. I LOVE you for this beautiful, beautiful gift you have given us in the form of this article. The world needs more people like you Bryan. You are one person who has understood what a PRECIOUS country Pakistan is to its own people and what being Pakistani means. We weren’t just given this land, our forefathers had to sacrifice and compromise almost everything to win this land. This country and the people who live in it have nothing to do with terrorism. We don’t want to harm anyone… On the other hand, we believe in hospitality, chai and baatain shaatain =) we re going through dark, dark times though due to the reasons you cited. Pray for Pakistan!

• babar on September 3, 2011 at 5:06 am

well done makhuster

58. Farooq on September 2, 2011 at 8:54 am

Thank you so much Bryan for this amazing article. I just shared it with all my mailing list.

Here is another story of a Pakistani Contributing to USA. And Do read the comments at the end. See how grateful the Americans are.

We need to see Pakistan and America from a human perspective and not from the perspective of hate mongers in the media.

59. mahrukh on September 2, 2011 at 12:04 pm

subhan ALLAH :) ), amidst all the depression n the ongoing unrest in Pakistan, such articles do bring smiles and tears of joy back to the faces of many like me!!
    Yes, we, the youth of Pakistan are not disappointed…… as long as we are aware of our individual responsibilities and capacities, we’l keep up our best in sha ALLAH, for our nation!! n never let the Hopes die!!
    Life’s rainbows come after the storm, n I hope our rainbow is not far away (AMIN)

thnx Bryan for the truthful and heart warming account:), itx wonderful!

Regards

60. nasir mansoor on September 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm

BRAYN!
    LOVELY
    YOUR article has come up as a fresh breeze for those suffocated ,Pakistanis whom are worried about their country, their distorted image and the helm of affairs goin on with them, knowing that we are not that what we are portrayed and being hijacked by few bad people and lot of propaganda.
    i appreciate you for opening eyes of so many pakistanis as well….
    thanks

61. Inam on September 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for the post. It is a sufi saying that you see in others what you yourself are. So your good sentiments about us really reflect on you. As for Pakistanis they are a resilient people. They have come out of bad patches before and will do so again inshaallah.

62. sami on September 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Thank you, Bryan.
    I really liked your article on Pakistan.
    It expresses my sentiments and so beautifully written. Wow.
    I’m almost done with a film about Northern Pakistan which includes villages, schools and trekks.
    It’s the place I enjoy so much and really miss being there.
    This is great to find other Americans who feel the same about Pakistan.

• Raja Anwar on September 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm

hi my dearest sami i m angry with u because y u not contc me when u arrived in pakistan realy its not good job………….

63. A Rehman on September 2, 2011 at 9:16 pm

We Pakistanis (especially the ones who actually live here!) know we are blessed to have our country.

For every ridiculous, crude, self-vindicating story about Pakistan by foreign newspapers/ TV ‘journalists,’ there are hundreds of thousands of Pakistanis rolling their eyes in disgust, thinking the White Man has transformed into a sullen, aggressive, close-minded, narcissistic Western Teenager stereotype – unfortunately also armed with 21st century weaponry.

Your article restores faith among such Pakistanis and reminds everyone not every American is a CIA agent, Blackwater/XE mercenary, or biased/ignorant flyby journalist – just as every man with a beard seen from a drone’s eye is not a terrorist and every woman not flaunting her body is not ‘suppressed.’

Thank you for reminding us there are real people, good people, everywhere, even if they are badly (mis)represented by their greedy governments, democratic or otherwise.

And, of course, welcome back anytime!

64. Nabeel on September 2, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Hats off Bryan!

65. Afzal Sipra on September 3, 2011 at 5:56 am

We are good people. Our country is great but we are being maltreated by friends and foes because of some selfish people who can’t think beyond their nose.Tunku Abdul Rahman and his generation were dedicated leaders, not for power but a sense of duty to the present and the future. They were not in politics for the money or for themselves. Indeed, even after they had assumed power, they never used their position to benefit themselves or their families, nor did they build loyal cronies who would act as their financiers or hold any wealth unlawfully earned at the expense of the people.
    The guiding philosophy was responsibility of public office. Public office was seen as a duty, not as an opportunity. The public office was also part of their sense of political commitment to create a Malaysia that was fair, just, cohesive, and balanced. This was combined by a deep conviction of generational responsibility for those who would come after them.

• Afzal Sipra on September 3, 2011 at 6:03 am

66. Afzal Sipra on September 3, 2011 at 6:01 am

We are good people. our country is great. Thank you for writing reality.

67. Naila Aziz Ahmed on September 3, 2011 at 9:18 am

Bryan, thank you for writing a beautiful article on Pakistan. People make so many judgements and pre judgements about such a lovely place with beautiful people by judging a whole country by the headlines in the Washington Post. You are a person who sees the good in people and have a wonderfully positive outlook. Shukria. Khuda Hafiz

68. Nadeem Khan on September 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Buh Bye Retard :P

69. Rahim Diyar on September 3, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Dear Bryn,

It is really a nice post of your experience in Pakistan, specially in the Northern region (Chitral)- I hope you will visit again and wil find Pakistan most Loving & Hospitable –

Wishes,

Diyar Khan
    Chitral

70. Syeda on September 4, 2011 at 12:46 am

It was a pleasure meeting you (even if it was over a presentation at the office!) and getting a sense of your optimism and genuine fondness for Pakistan. It was really refreshing, and instilled in me a sense of hope that I struggle to feel on most days living in this country. Thanks for sharing your views Bryan, and all the best for the future!

71. fatimah haras on September 4, 2011 at 10:26 am

What sentiments! Can’t believe you saw so much positive in all the mess. I resonate one sentiment, no two. It’s a country afflicted by terrorism and education / econ development IS THE ONLY WAY FORWARD. Now the question is…are we up to giving it ten years to make it work? Each of us?! Pakistanis

72. Anees on September 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Thank you young man – for the kind words and thoughts and in truth too. But for those who have lived and the living, the rubber band has been stretched beyond snapping back. It has snapped. Ask those who are left with an agonizing and soul rending loss of their loved ones who were lost to the bullets from the faceless. Why? And for what purpose ?. My country that have been A COUNTRY!!. Yours bought its soul and sold and resold it to the devil within and we are now counting the dead and the dying

73. faisal on September 4, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I started reading this post after I received it from a friend in email, with the usual pessimism- yet another post from yet another gora (white man) about his adventures in the land of the pure. I must however admit this write up has touched me, more so because that’s what I keep telling my friends outside Pakistan.
    Good work, mate!
    Faisal
    Canberra, Australia

74. Cool on September 5, 2011 at 11:32 am

I read this blog thanks to friend who shared the link on Facebook.
    Pleasure to know someone writes positive about Pakistan. 101% agreed. But the problem with people who visit Pakistan care of some friends like your CEO friend or other friends is that they see what they are made to see. Yes we Pakistanis are hospitable, loyal, optimistic …blah blah but at the same time we are Pakistanis. The greatest hypocritical society of world.
    I am very much sure these lovely hospitable, loyal, optimistic people would have never told you:
    that there are minorities in Pakistan too.
    that there is no space for minorities in Official Govt Syllabus taught to children.
    that in schools children are told opposite of word Muslim is Hindu.
    that is most schools non Muslims have to study Islamiyat because schools do not have teachers for non Muslims.
    that children are told adulterated history.
    Where religion is almost forced.
    Where there is no respect for humanity, human rights, environment, social justice because children are not taught for this they are only are filled with hatred for other religions.
    And many more.
    But Still I love my country because I am one of the loyal, hospitable, optimistic Pakistanis.

• bilal on September 7, 2011 at 4:42 am

I agree 1ooo percent , i my self belong to Ahmadiyya Muslim Community and we do face such issues on daily basis ! this is the same Pakistan which have a LAW explaining religion of sect among its people !

• Naveen Malik on September 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm

with all due respect – i have many friends amidst many minorities in pakistan and the issues you have described are highly exaggerated. where else in the world do minorities hold major businesses in the country (agha khanis, qadianis in pakistan are currently owners of major businesses in pakistan) i think minorities in pakistan are more biased against muslims and not the other way around.

• Yahya on September 13, 2011 at 3:29 am

Pakistan is no better or worse than any other couuntry on social values. It may not be the best country in the world in terms of human rights records or economic development but then it is certainly not the worst; which otherwise it is tragically projected to be.
        Pakistan has its challenges but on the whole Pakistanis are God fearing, friendly people. While the State is inefficient the NGOs and people make up for that in social sector development. This has enabled Pakistan to grow year by year against all odds. This indeed is an enigma for the world. Hats off to this resilient nation.
        The sad part is that some minorities use the current Pak bashing attitude to their advantage only to seek a one way ticket out of the country. All the best to you few.

75. A Raza Khan on September 5, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Your observation is sharp. Still there is much more to explore, undrstand and communicate to tunnel visioned analists. You must have seen much more in 10 months. Share it sometimes.

Regards

A Raza

76. Raza on September 6, 2011 at 9:44 am

Thanks a lot Bryan…
    Pakistan’s image is destroyed around the world. People dont wanna talk about Pakistan. But rich in resources we will rise InshaAllah. Thanks a lot for portraying the true image of my homeland.
    Raza

77. fida sirdar on September 6, 2011 at 11:54 am

Bryan, your articles means the world to Pakistan and Pakistanis, especially in the tough times that are not entirely of their own making. You are my friend as well and friend of all Pakistanis, forever. THANK YOU!

78. Muz on September 6, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Like a cool refreshing breeze!:)

79. Rehan Haque on September 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Brian, I just want to thank you for reminding me of what I had perhaps forgotten lately… that this is a beautiful place with beautiful people in it… and that I have to do my bit to keep it that way. Pakistanis deserve so much better than the flak they we get.

Just know that your words (and maybe actions too) have done a great deal of good.

Khuda Hafiz.

80. Roman Ahsan on September 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Bryan, your article touches the hearts of Pakistanis in every way. We Pakistanis understand that Americans like you have nothing against our country, and vice versa. Americans are wonderful people, however I think it’s the US government (along with its foreign policy) which is not dealing with us fairly. I don’t want to go into details here but it’s sufficient to tell how and why foreign meddling in our affairs should be curbed also if we are to progress.

81. najia on September 7, 2011 at 8:23 pm

love u bryan, for loving my beloved :)

82. [...] Farris is an Acumen Fund Global Fellow in the Class of 2011. This post originally appeared on Rising Pyramid. [...]

83. Kassim P on September 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Reply to Salman’s post: September 2, 2011 at 9:21 am

It is this cancerous attitude that needs to rooted out… I think that Bryan’s story is just the right antidote to the poison that Salman is perpetuating…

Thanks Bryan!!!

84. Bilal on September 9, 2011 at 4:58 am

Dear Bryan
    As a Pakistani, i cant tell you how much i appreciate your post. Unfortunately, people forget the basic fact that “people are people” no matter where they are from. Sure, we have our problems, but you very rightly pointed out,that what you see on the news does not define the people of Pakistan.

I wish more people like you have the oppurtunity to visit and see this 1st hand.

again, your article is a great service to the people of Pakistan, and i thank you

regards,

bilal

85. Ashraf M. Quraishi on September 10, 2011 at 5:44 am

Nothing is perfect in this world. Some complaints about Pakistan may true.Rehman is very right in his comments. Bryan! are you a writer or it is the love of Pakistan that produced such a nice write up.I would say Pakistan is a country as all other countries in the world around. There are good people and bad as well. But no doubt there are generally most of the people friendly and hospitable.Thank you Bryan to rediscover my beloved country for lot of my compatriots.
    Wa sallam.

86. Tech Lahore on September 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Fantastic post. Clearly heartfelt. Thanks for visiting Pakistan Bryan and for sharing your wonderful experiences.

87. M Ali on September 12, 2011 at 3:41 am

Bryan.. After living in US and UK for over 10 years when i moved back to Pakistan in 2007 my friend used to ask me how is it to live here and I used to say wonderful.. 4 years down the road I still tell them the same thing and some of them are surprised that is it still wonderful and I always tell them.. Come and see it yourself… you article really endorses the same opinion..

88. Objective Opinion on September 13, 2011 at 7:34 am

NYT is a trashy newspaper. It is among the most biased and one-sided newspapers I’ve come across. It wants you to believe the world the way it sees it. NYT is a trash that is floating at the top. Unfortunately, this is the reason America is on decline: the crud, both in journalism and in politis, has risen to the top.

89. Saiyed Asif Mahmood on September 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Thank you for sharing this interesting story. Bryan, could you please let me know if we can publish it on our website : http://www.neda-dc.org
    Any additional info about Aftab in ref to micro hydro pp will be great too.
    Regards
    S.A.M

• aftab ahmad shah on November 15, 2011 at 6:17 am

S.A.M,
      Just found ur comment mentioning my name.If i can be of any help kindly let know..engraftab@gamil.com

regards

90. Farrukh Bashir on September 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Thank you Brain, for making us feel proud. I hope the world around you outside Pakistan thinks the same way.

Stay blessed.

91. [...] Fellowship with the Acumen Fund, which provided first-hand exposure to the lives at the BoP.  His final post is the all-time most popular post on Rising [...]

92. Jamal Shamsi on September 15, 2011 at 12:10 am

Thank you for all the kind words for the country & a nation.

Hope you will convey a constructive message about the nation warm, kind and heartwarming for everyone thus painted ‘terrorist’

93. Alam Jan Dario on September 15, 2011 at 10:54 am

Vary nice work .thanks for this as a pakistani

94. Filzah on September 15, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Bryan, you brought tears to my eyes. Sitting here in my home in Texas, I’m desperately clinging to hope for a country that has so much potential..Thank you for being so optimistic

95. Aamir on September 17, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Hey Bryan,
    U am speechless after reading your article. Even if I had tried I wouldn’t have been able to put it together the way you did. You painted Pakistan with all the colors of life!
    Let me on behalf of the whole nation thank you for showing us the Pakistan we have all ignored for far too long.
    God bless you, you are always welcome to this country, it is as much your as it is mine. I would like to know you better, if and when you do get a chance do send me a friends invite on FB, the way to look for me is through the email id. May the lord have mercy on you and your loved ones.

96. sairah yahya on September 18, 2011 at 1:41 am

Dear Bryan,
    Living in Pakistan and facing our day to day problems had definately and actually made us forgotten what beautiful people we are,what we have within us ,our culture and lots more.Thank you for reminding us what we really are,and what are our roots as well as what we still can do for this country that is Our homeland. Hats off to u for doing a brilliant job by wtiting this and article and i thank you from the bottom of my heart for waking us up to see the colors and life that is still vibrant in a country like Pakistan.
    May Allah bless you always.

97. waqas mir on September 18, 2011 at 10:32 am

i love this line of yours ‘Pakistan is not a country of terrorists, but rather a country afflicted by terrorists.’

98. Irfan Bokhari on September 19, 2011 at 12:52 am

Thankyou Bryan for understanding the true Pakistan. It is indeed a country with immense potential and opportunity to grow, we are just going through a difficult time because of our bad political decisions in the past but I am sure that the Pakistan of tomorrow will be a great nation!

God bless you.
    Pakistan Zindabad.

99. Ibrahim Suheyl on September 19, 2011 at 2:29 am

Dear Bryan,
    I don’t remember ever enjoying an article more. Thank you so very much for your beautiful observations, may the goodness of your soul touch many more hearts, everywhere.

100. Neelum on September 20, 2011 at 7:27 am

Dear Bryan,
    Thankyou so much for this artical, the way we Pakistanis are treated all over the world is so saddening and shameful. The people with green passports are being seen in such a humiliating manner. We need people like you to bring out a true picture. May Allah bless you.

101. Muhammad Atif Kauser on September 21, 2011 at 1:23 am

Thank you Bryan for this piece. It really felt like the voice of every person in Pakistan, shouting out loud to the world that this is what were are and not what you think or are told. It’s so heartening to read your lines and know that people are now changing views about us. All praises for your beitifully put thoughts that are a true reflection of what this piece of land is and what it’s people actually are.
    May Allah bless you more and may you keep coming to Pakistan. It’s always a pleasure to heave guests like you.

Atif Kauser – Lahore
    P.S. It will indeed be a pleasure to be your host on your next trip to Pakistan.

102. Muhammad on September 22, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Shukriya Bryan !!! :-)

103. Hanif on September 22, 2011 at 8:01 pm

thank you brian farris to have firsthand and unbiased judgement about my country and us!

104. Seema Faridi on September 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Dear Bryan, Assalaam Alekum,We have trotted, lived and tried to make a home for ourseives in so many countries….including the US…but our hearts were always in Pakistan. We could not understand or nail this gnawing feeling. Without thinking we dropped everytihng and came back to innocent, sweet, trampled P akistan…here if we are hurt on the road strangers will run to help you in every whichever way…time or fear of court hearings never cross their minds…the common man has a heart of gold. It’sa handfull of cheats and hungry wolves coupled by the FOREIGN MEDIA who have turned this GENUINE LAND into FORBIDDEN terrority….this is my PAKISTAN where we sit and have ‘THREE CUPS OF TEA’, oblivious of the time crunch for people here know the ‘POWER OF NOW’ and where the the ‘OUTLIERS’ are not filthy rich materially but spiritually….LOVE YOU PAKISTAN…SEEMA FARIDI MD.

105. mehrieneq on September 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Totally agree with Kassim P on Salman’s post. It’s narrow-minded,bigoted people like him who are the bane of Pakistan !
    Bryan’s article is from the heart,a true portrait of our wonderful country and its people ! Thank you .

106. Hira Wajahat Malik on October 9, 2011 at 7:45 am

Wonderful insights Bryan … Often it takes someone else’s perspective to make you realize what you are missing. Thank You.

And in between your adventures, you took a guest session at the Lahore University of Management Sciences for a social entrepreneurship course once, introducing the Ansar Management Company and Acumen Fund. Thank you for that as well …

It’s amazing how someone you meet so fleetingly can impact your life and what you choose to do in a million ways. All the best to you … stay happy, healthy, blessed and loved always! :)

• Bryan Farris on October 9, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Thank you Hira. It was a pleasure to be at LUMS. :)

107. Kinza Tahir on October 10, 2011 at 1:12 am

Dear Bryan,
    An overwhelming post I have read in a very long time! Thanks for sharing the positive aspects of my land Pakistan. I feel very glad that people like you exist in this world who appreciate!:)

Kind Regards

108. Dr Awatar Singh Sekhon (Machaki) on October 12, 2011 at 6:24 am

Janab Kayani ji,

Aslaam O Alaikum!

Indeed, a beautiful, informative and highly balanced write up by Bryan. Thanks to Bryan that he found time to recollect his memories relating to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
    May the Khudawand Bakhshinda bless you both with a very happy life, along with the brave citizens of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. One last but not the least thing, that we in humanity are the victims of
    greedy, criminal, unethical, morally and mentally ‘devoid’ of politicians of the 21st century. Let us hope for the best. Let me quote from Guru Granth Sahib:”Aval Allah Noor Upaya, Kudrat ke Sab Bande, IK Noor the Sab Jag Upjaya Kaun Bhale ko Mande.” Khuda Hafiz. Best wishes and warm regards.
    Awatar Singh Sekhon (Machaki)

109. Dr Awatar Singh Sekhon (Machaki) on October 12, 2011 at 6:30 am

Piare Mohatarams and Mohataramas,

Aslaama O Alaikum!

I have expressed myself, as to what I go through day by day in this world. I am not a diplomat, politicians, but I am a human being and believe in humanity and respect my brothers, sisters and youth in humanity. So, moderation is not but the ‘truth’ is that guides my thoughts. May the Khudawand bless you all. Peace be upon us ALL.
    Best wishes and warmest regards.
    Awatar Singh Sekhon (Machaki)
    *****

110. Zaffar Iqbal Durrani on October 12, 2011 at 7:16 am

Dear Bryan, thank you very much for the nice words about Pakistan. This I shall not say that I thanked you for your nice words but, I thank you for speaking the truth about Pakistan and putting it in a nice way. And that too in an era when the trend of the west and Americans is to condemn Pakistan by hook and by crook. This has restored my Faith again that still true people are their. This has also changed my complete prospective about you whatever I had. Thank you again for all.

• Zaffar Iqbal Durrani on October 12, 2011 at 7:21 am

P.S
      I without your prior consent, taking this liberty and publishing your this nice article at my blog for the benefit of all and for the understanding of True Pakistan by all. I hope that you shall excuse me for this.

• Zaffar Iqbal Durrani on October 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

My Blog “Give and Take Love/Knowledge”.

111. anwar mohiuddin on October 12, 2011 at 10:13 am

Thanks for this gift. Hillary closest aide is partIndian,part Pakistani muslim -Huma Abedin. Pity she did not show this part of Pakistan to her.

112. Nauman Afzal on October 12, 2011 at 8:52 pm

WOW! That was darn good read. Brian, you made my day. I just came to office and saw a link to your article in my email. I am going to put it on my blog with a link back to the original article. If you come to Pakistan next time do plan on visiting Peshawar.
    Best wishes

113. Riaz Mangrio on October 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Dear Bryan,

It is easier for us to say a lot for our country, and it is easier for our enemies to say against. But you being neutral person have presented a true picture to the world.

Thanks

114. Mohammed Husain Bandukwala on October 14, 2011 at 1:28 am

Brian, your article about Pakistan has given a fresh lease of life to our hopes and aspirations. Pakistan in 80s was a normal country but the super power rivalries has brought us to such a pass. we Pakistanis thank you immensely for projecting it positively. We wish you success with your endevour in life and hope PK would be in a better shape when you visit us next time

115. Mohammed Husain Bandukwala on October 17, 2011 at 3:25 am

Dear Brian,

I have visited USA 10 times and I have the same kind of impression about the people of America as you have expressed about People of Pakistan in your article. I had an opportunity to meet so many Americans.They are most wonderful and very compassionate lot.Being the citizens of the first world one would tend to think they are arrogant. But they are the humblest people and your opinion about us has further strengthened my views about Americans. God bless you

116. ruqia on October 19, 2011 at 7:20 am

thanku so much fr sharing this positive aspect of Pakistan with world

117. Ijaz on October 23, 2011 at 8:21 am

Thank you Bryan, God bless u.

118. I. Dar on October 24, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I really enjoyed your article, atleast some positive news came from Pakistan. I urge you to watch this clip from CBS news. A interview with UN Ambassador from Pakistan Mr. Haroon.

119. aftab on October 27, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Dear Bryan,
    Just read your article.It was a very nice representation of Pakistan.I hope this article will be helpful in clearing the perception in some people mind about our country as terrorist state.
    Hope to see you again in future Bryan.

regards

120. sarfraz on November 1, 2011 at 3:01 am

Dear Bryan,
    Like you, everyone should judge other countries through his knowledge and wisdom and not through what is told in media.
    You are very right we do have some problems and we do have some good qualities like all other nations. But it does not mean that whole nation is not good.
    thanks for your comments.

121. Fahar on November 1, 2011 at 7:13 am

A beautiful mind :)

122. Suleyman Nizamani on November 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Thoughtful observations and a well-written piece on one of my favorite countries. You also captured my sentiments and experiences of this great country and the Pakistani people exactly. Kudos to you on your enlightening post and thank you.

123. Ali Khan on November 9, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I have always said that Pakistani’s people are very hospitable…It all goes back to the religious upbringing we have. We learn to be hospitable from childhood. The stories taught in school are all about lessons learned, being nice to others, respecting your elders, having morals, and not to mention Islamic teachings. I am born and raised in in Los Angeles, and I do not get the friendly attitude here in LA than when I am in Pakistan where people are so easy to talk to. I remember once I was a kid, and I got lost in Pakistan…Someone saw me, asked me what was going on, took me to their house, gave me “Milk” (hehehe) and finally took me home. I cannot forget these types of things…these things are normal in Pakistan…In America, if I had gotten lost…people would have no time for me, or the most they will leave me at the police station to get the liability (me) off their hand ..they dont go over and beyond here in LA. However, I do have a good circle of friends, some from Phillipines and Pakistan, including my lovely blessed brother, we are pretty caring for eachother…May Allah keep us all happy and make his tests easy on us……..All Muslims are taught to be hospitable…type “convert” in youtube….the whole world is becoming muslim….

124. Hussain on January 26, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thank you very much for this awesome blog. Raised my spirits and rekindled my faith in my Country.

Let the losers and whiners cry. Pakistan will InshaAllah come out of the present crisis too

Thanks again

125. A Path Away From Pride & Prejudice | Rising Pyramid on September 14, 2012 at 12:20 pm

[...] most popular post—with 3x more reads than the next most popular post—is still the tribute I wrote to Pakistan a year [...]